When I decided to go to law school, I knew I wanted more than a paycheck. I wanted to make a difference in the lives of the people who chose me to represent them. That’s why I represent my clients with the same qualities I would look for in legal representation: honesty, knowledge and determination.
Brad is a co-founder and partner in the law firm Hartung Schroeder. He believes in advocating for people in many areas of the law. He regularly represents clients in matters pertaining to family law, business law and personal injury.
In addition to his general business practice, Brad handles complex civil litigation including shareholder lawsuits — one involving a publicly traded convenience store chain — and class action work. As class counsel in the largest class action lawsuit ever levied against an Iowa municipality, Brad and the legal team won a $40 million verdict in a case that survived three appeals to the Iowa Supreme Court and a writ for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.
He also has experience with Iowa’s racing and gaming laws, formerly serving as counsel to the Iowa Harness Horsemen’s Association in annual matters pertaining to the Iowa Racing and Gaming Association (IRGC) and Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
Brad is licensed to practice in all Iowa state courts as well as in the U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, the U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Settlement of claims against the estate of a professional who defrauded clients out of millions of dollars.
- Seven-figure recovery of damages against a national chain restaurant for premises negligence involving defective design and maintenance of seating areas.
- Representation of a driver injured by the unsafe backing on a highway of a commercial truck driver caused by the negligent design of a business plant.
- Recovery in a divorce case of more than a million dollars above the “last best offer” extended before HS involvement.
- Six-figure recovery against a health insurer for mixing up prescriptions sent to a patient from its in-house mail-order fulfillment center.
- Representation of a programmer and small business owner whose database management software was pirated by a competitor and marketed across the country.
- Securing a $40,000,000 class action trial judgment against a city for illegal taxation of residents.
- Securing court appointment of a receiver to oversee the operations of the parties’ business interests in a divorce where the husband was diverting hundreds of thousands of dollars in marital assets.
- Representation of a rural business owner damaged when a large industrial hog confinement was constructed half a mile from his home.
After growing up in the rural Iowa town of Remsen, Iowa, Brad attended Buena Vista College on a full academic scholarship. He studied English and served as president of the student senate. After earning a bachelor’s degree and graduating Cum Laude, he set his sights on law school at the University of Iowa. He graduated law school with distinction and was accepted into the Iowa Bar in 1997.
Professional Memberships & Honors
- Amierca’s Top 100 Attorneys – Lifetime Acheivement Award
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa Association for Justice
- C. Edwin Moore Inn of Court
- Buena Vista University, Board of Trustees, 2017-present
- Board Member, Iowa Lottery, 2008 – 2012
- President, Iowa Lottery Board of Directors, 2011 – 2012
- Board Member, Young Women’s Resource Center, 2005 – 2011
- President, Young Women’s Resource Center Board of Directors, 2008 – 2010
- Buena Vista University, President’s Advisory Board, 2012 – 2017
- Partner, Donegal Racing
- Iowa Greyhound Association